Steve

Default lofting canoe tables in to plans

"William R. Watt" wrote in message
you don't need to loft that boat. you cut out the station moulds and set
them up on a strongback. you lay a strip on at different points to check

I realize OP and your comment relate to lofting (or not lofting) with
regards to a canoe. I assume this would be from a table of offsets as
developed from line drawings.

This may work for a small craft where correction to the molds can be fairly
simple.

However, I would strongly encourage a prospective builder of a larger boat
to do a full lofting operation. The reason being that the lines and offset
provided in a set of plans are to the outside of the hull and it is not
feasible, using manual methods, to simply deduct the planking thickness due
to the complex curves or angles of the lines. (If the design were done on a
computer, the designer can now perform this operation and provide this for
mold building.)

It is true that the table of offsets might be use in the molds are external
molds and the planking laid inside. I've heard of this method but have never
used it since the fitting of the strip planks would be more difficult, IMHO.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions