Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Just a thought ;; there will be some very good bargains ..

From what I've been told, if at all possible, skip Cabo and head north to La
Paz. Between Cabo and La Paz there are a couple of places, which might be
ok. You should be able to find an anchorage near La Paz, no problem. We
started there. There are several within spitting distance. Further north,
you'll not find it to be a problem. There are some beautiful anchorages
between La Paz and Mulege, especially off the bigger islands. We got Gerry
Cunningham's charts, which were stunningly accurate and detailed. The
"official" charts I don't think have been seriously updated since the late
1800s (yes, you read that right). GPS coordinates are way off in any case.
Gerry has been all over, so if you're going to hang for a while, it would be
worth getting the other packages as well.

I'm happy to stop by and let you look, borough, etc., what I have. I'm
supposed to be in the general area next week.

We got as far as Bahia Agua Verde (about 100 nm from La Paz) before we had
to turn around. That was a beautiful, isolated spot. We didn't anchor there,
because it was crowded - one other boat, so we back-peddled to Bahia San
Marte, which was even more isolated.

I'd also recommend just about any place on Isla San Jose, Isla Partida, or
Isal Espiritu Santo. In fact, if I get a chance to do it over again, I would
stick to those three places - there are plenty of different anchorages.
There's not much on the peninsula between La Paz and Aqua Verde (well, a
couple of places, but none that great for staying unless in a pinch).

I can also scan and post a list of GPS coordinates from Gerry's
documentation. No pictures, but it's better than nothing. I have them for
Cabo, La Paz, Isla San Jose, and Aqua Verde. There are about 90 positions
listed.

wrote in message
On Sep 18, 7:27 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
You should probably keep in mind that you'll have problems finding dock
space in places like Cabo. You'll probably be ok at La Paz. You might want
to check the last couple of issue of Lat. 38 for info about reserving
spots
if that's what you're intending. ...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check that out. We're so bad at keeping
a schedule that reservations are hard for us. We tend to prefer
anchoring (which I gather is limited there) or moorings to the dock.
Maybe there is more room on the balls than on the docks. Folks I've
talked to about Cabo have such different opinions of the place that
I'm not sure if it would be a bad thing to give it a miss if there's
no room... Thoughts?

Other tips on Mexican cruising are very welcome, too!

Cheers,

-- Tom.

--
"j" ganz @@