Jacques

Default Design for 16' motor/sailer camper?

(William R. Watt) wrote in message ...
Rick Tyler ) writes:

You can stick a sail on anything, but a planing boat, which needs a
flat run aft and a broad-ish transom, will never sail very well.

I was prevented from writing the same by the realization there are quiet a
few 16 ft planing sailboats. I've had a few up on a plane myself. These
are pretty light displacement boats which can plane with sail power.

Planing with a sailboat is not the same thing than with a powerboat.
It's more like occasional bursts of surfing, not a real sustained
planign mode during which most of the lift comes from planing.
There are a few sailboats designed to plane under power and also sail
but they are not too successfull.

Jacques mertens
http://bateau.com