William R. Watt

Default Design for 16' motor/sailer camper?

Rick Tyler ) writes:

You can stick a sail on anything, but a planing boat, which needs a
flat run aft and a broad-ish transom, will never sail very well.

I was prevented from writing the same by the realization there are quiet a
few 16 ft planing sailboats. I've had a few up on a plane myself. These
are pretty light displacement boats which can plane with sail power.
There's an incomplete design of a light 15 ft cabin sailboat on my website
(Solo 15) which I think would plane. I've seen small light sail cruisers
that are said to plane. However I did not mention such a boat because the
posted requirement was for a boat which would plane under outboard power.
I think it should be possible to design a light displacement camping boat
which would plane under both sail and power but I've not come across any in
my recreational reading.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm