posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Let's get rid of NMEA

Poit wrote in
00.119:

I would like to see the community come up with an open standard that
would kill off NMEA. It could stay purely ascii, be bi-directional,
easy to use, no binary mumbo-jumbo. It could be extensible like XML.
Best of all it would be free for everyone including manufacturers.
Provider ----
http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to
100,000+ newsgroups

We've had one for years. It's called TCP/IP and I'm using it to send you
this message. Every instrument SHOULD be placed on a STANDARD Ethernet bus
controlled by a DHCP-enabled router...with wifi would also be nice.

You'll never see it as long as naive boaters will pay through the nose for
NMEA's archaic nonsense. You'd have to get them to stop BUYING NMEA's
member's products to get their attention. That won't happen.

The cheapest of off-the-shelf routers creates 65,535 ports on each
instrument and will already handle up to 256 instruments, simultaneously
without all this 4800 baud nonsense with one talker. It's time to move
on...