Keith

Default removing gasoline and fumes from bilge

Funny, but warranties only serve to limit liability. You have the best
warranty when there isn't one in writing. Fitness for use is a robust
concept. I'd say the builder is liable and should fix the thing. Getting
them to do it may take some legal action though. Try giving them a call and
see what happens.

--

Keith
__
"Brian D" wrote in message
Find a shop that does aluminum boat and fuel tank repair and leave it up

them. rec.boats.building is fine for discussion, but I'd seriously

consider
a more prudent approach to your tank repair problem.

As far as who's responsible, it comes down to warranty. If you have it

then
fine, but it sounds like you don't, else you'd know, right? As far as law
goes, well ...it's a reasonable expectation that the tank does not leak,
assuming the boat was new. Have your attorney write a letter...

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My 22' Tolman Skiff

project
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/catalog -- Discounted System Three
Resins products

"Steve" wrote in message
The gas tank, to do it properly, needs to be emptied, cleaned by several
rinses and then inerted with gas while it is being welded. Your welder

will
have a procedure for this.. His inerting gas must be what ever is

suitable
for aluminum welding (mig or tig).

Cleaning and gas freeing the tank is a small problem. It would be the

gas
freeing of the bilges that concerns me since it sounds like you have to

do
some cutting to get into them and the tank.

You ask about builders responsibility.. I would say yes, but you would

have
a hard time getting him to do anything if you can't take it to his
facility... He's not going to want to pay for the gas free and welders
services in someone elses boat yard..

In the typical US boat yard, your talking about several thousand even if
everything were simple.. It cost money to have a job like this done
correctly and safely..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions