Steve

Default Where do you buy your supplies?

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I buy 200+ lb rolls of glass and 500 lb drums of epoxy resin from

suppliers
who deal in those quantities at competitive prices.

Same here.

I am a hobby builder with Polyester resin (and some epoxy) and while in the
midst of building, from bare hull, I was using a drum of resin a year.
Intially I had diffuculty getting in from (formerly) Tacoma Fiberglass,
until I got a business license.. However they were purchased by an outfit in
Calif. and there just wasn't any price brakes for my quantities.

I then shifted my business to FiberLay of Seattle. They pruchase their
product in bulk and package it for are both wholesale and retail under their
own label. The prices were competative with the former Tacoma Fiberglass but
with a more convenient store front atmosphere.

I might add that that both sources were staffed by people who had actually
worked with fiberglass in production and were willing to share their
knowledge with the customer.. Many times they would spend a half hour going
through an explaination or mini instructional on how to do something.

I purchased enough glass cloth, mat, roving and bia-axial in rolls to last
me through this project and another. I got this all for a $1/lb from a shop
going out of business.

I also purchased my filler material, micro balloons, etc. chopped strand,
etc in bulk since it is much cheaper that way. Same with acetone, at
$35/5gal. (seems like only a couple years ago that it was $15/5gal).

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions