Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Hurricane Ike pics from Kemah, Tx

"Molesworth" wrote in message
: From my Morgan list:
:
: http://imageevent.com/deanaj/hurricaneike
:
: It's truly horrible - all those dreams.. I wonder how many were
: 'self-insured'?
:
: --
: Molesworth
:
: --
: http://www.stcustards.free-online.co.uk/

I don't feel the least bit sorry for any of them. They had more than a week
to get their boats hauled and moved out of harm's way and plenty enough time
to sail them out of harm's way yet they chose to do nothing.

They deserve what they got! I've been through a dozen or more hurricanes
since 1987 as strong or stronger than Ike and my fine bluewater yacht never
suffered any damage mainly because I never kept it at a dock and I always
moved it out of harms way under sail to safety well before the storm on a
direct approach approached. All it takes is two or three good hurricane
holes in which to hide in different directions and a willingness to go
there, tie up securely and ride out the fringes of the storm. You've got to
keep out of the path of the core and you'll do just fine. You can weather a
lot in your home harbor but you need to have a secure mooring well away from
marinas where all sorts of dockage and boat wreckage will end up wrecking
your boat. You've got to use your head. You've got to care. You can't look
at your boat as a throwaway.

But, the lubbers and lazy lobs who inhabit marinas don't really care enough
about their boats to take the necessary action to keep them safe. They are
mostly expendable so why feel sorry for them when they get destroyed because
they aren't properly looked after? These people got just what they asked
for.

Wilbur Hubbard