Parallax

Default Stevenson Projects Micro-Cup

(Parallax) wrote in message om...
(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
"Andrew Butchart" wrote in message ...
I've built the Stevenson Projects MiniCup boat and have been quite happy
with it overall. You may want to check out the MiniCup FAQ at
http://www.byyb.org/pn/modules.php?o...y es&id_cat=9
or go to the http://www.byyb.org site and follow the links. There's also
some information on my own website - http://www.floatingbear.ca/

My own opinion is that although you could build the boat out 1/8" ply you
would have some loss of hull strength as well as having problems fastening
such thin ply to the stringers.

--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.floatingbear.ca

"Parallax" wrote in message
m...
Has anybody built this boat? Do you reccomend any changes.
Considering the age of the plans, are there any materials other than
1/4" ply that would be lighter?

I am interested in building two for my kids.

Thanks for the info.

Day 1.

Bought the wood, 10 pieces of 4' X 8' X 1/4" Luan underlayment (I am
building 2). This stuff is very light and nicely finished. Several
ppl told me to get Mahogany instead of Fir for the stringers, etc.
The lumberyard had limited amounts of Fir but strongly suggested an
Australian wood called Agathis which I got. This was more expensive
than I thought.

Before it got dark this evening, I managed to draw out on the wood the
sides and centerboard box for 1, and the bow decking for it but did
not have time to draw the curves. I am a little worried about cutting
the luan even with taping both sides of each cut because I have seen
similar stuff splinter (cutting doors).

Will try to finish the lofting tomorrow evening.

I am considering the sails now and although the plans call for
visqueen, what about the reinforced plastic tarp material? Any ideas
on sail material. The backyard yacht building site showed one with a
different rig than the "latteen" style sail, it had a stayed mast.
Anybody know anything about it?

The plans call for the two Al poles that form the top and bottom of
the sail to be the same diameter as the mast, why not make them a
little smaller?

Thanks,

David OHara