Joe Parsons

Default The problem with these off-topic, political threads...

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:35:39 -0400, "Gary Warner" wrote:

- The "bar room" thing is just an anology, don't try to carry it too far.

But it's the analogy that is most commonly used in this context.

- The discussions are not just pointless. They show me how others think.
Even when I disagree, I learn something.

That's true--and my whole point is that one may learn enough about another
person to view him with contempt. Reasoned--even heated--debate is just fine;
it's energizing and often educational for both sides. But when the "debate"
turns so quickly to gratuitous insults--and it invariably does--it says far too
much about the combatants that one might like to know. Characterizing a
"liberal" as a limp-wristed, light-in-the-loafers faggot; or a "conservative" as
a fascist. Or displaying black-and-white, bigoted thinking--on *either* side of
an argument.

For me, it's just too much information--and I personally find it difficult to
separate often valuable information (which is often scarce) from someone's
despicable character traits, regardless of how his politics might play out.

- If you dont' want to read the threads, don't. If you can't help yourself
from
"slowing down and gawking" don't blame others, help yourself.

I'm quite able to set filters--even when the subject line is a moving target.
But my concerns are not for my own sensibilities; rather, they are for the
impression made on people subscribing for the first time.

And the content--quality and quantity--in rec.boats is far less appealing now
than it was, say, two years ago.

- I disagree that there is little or no boating value here. Post a boating
story
and plenty of people will comment or sympathize. Post a boating or boat
question and there will be very helpful hints, tips, information, web-links,
stories of similar experience, etc., etc.

In the Pot-Kettel-Black department: why not mark your off topic
post with "OT:" ?? Yes, the subject is pretty self-explanitory, but
it is convention to mark subjects with "OT:" so people can easily
filter for them.

As we've already discussed, many newsreaders strip out the OT: on follow-ups.
OE is the most widely used newsreader here, and it behaves that way.

Any Usenet newsgroup is a do-it-yourself deal. I just don't think the deal is
being done as well as it should be.

Joe Parsons