Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default Bayside, Queens

"Roger Long" wrote in message
They're long gone. I think Skip has gotten disgusted and tired of
SPOT and isn't running it any more. Too bad. It was fun following
them. The unit is a bit quirky but works fine when you figure out
the klunky interface. I think they probably added the tracking
feature after the case and circuit were already finalized and had to
come up with a button sequence so tracking was added with a firmware
function instead of a dedicated button. Late implementation would
also explain the tracking page still being in beta development.

Not disgusted and tired to the point of non-use. It just didn't do its
thing on the last couple of trips. If we implement your sequence
successfully, it will show our passages. When I get the "OK" notice on
wifi before we've left, I'd presumed it was working... Not yet
decided; we'll either do a one- or two-jump (all the usual
disclaimers/allowances) trip (Charleston maybe if not direct) to Miami
when we leave here (Atlantic Highlands)...

Mine's working fine and still on the same batteries I put in after I
bought it last March. I'll be taking it on the delivery trip of the
Maryland research vessel so people at the university can follow the
progress.

Your battery life is encouraging; I wish now that we'd known your
success instead of their cautious "2-week life" statement, as we'd not
have bought the 4 (sets) replacements at staggering prices...

SPOT should really come up with a second generation unit that has an
"Up / Down" button and a small LED screen. All it does is transmit
numbers to the sat system. If you could change just one number, you
could set up a page with the people you were communicating with and
have 64 to 256 prearranged codes which would let you convey a lot of
useful information.

So, call or write them with the suggestion. Bet they'd send you a new
one to test...

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Stamp out Sesquipedalianism