Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Bayside, Queens

They're long gone. I think Skip has gotten disgusted and tired of SPOT and
isn't running it any more. Too bad. It was fun following them. The unit
is a bit quirky but works fine when you figure out the klunky interface. I
think they probably added the tracking feature after the case and circuit
were already finalized and had to come up with a button sequence so tracking
was added with a firmware function instead of a dedicated button. Late
implementation would also explain the tracking page still being in beta
development.

Mine's working fine and still on the same batteries I put in after I bought
it last March. I'll be taking it on the delivery trip of the Maryland
research vessel so people at the university can follow the progress.

SPOT should really come up with a second generation unit that has an "Up /
Down" button and a small LED screen. All it does is transmit numbers to the
sat system. If you could change just one number, you could set up a page
with the people you were communicating with and have 64 to 256 prearranged
codes which would let you convey a lot of useful information.

--
Roger Long