posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default 35s5 Heart of Gold

On 16 Sep 2008 20:40:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:19:20 -0400, said:

I thought he was still talking about the DB9. I failed to negotiate
the curve. LOL

I figured. Just had to pull your chain a little.

The brochure for the 1952 Bentley did not state horsepower, or anyting
else so crass and common. It merely described the engine output as
"adequate". Very dry, those Brits!

Yes. IIRC the Bentley packed a huge in-line 6, didn't it?

I almost bought a 1954 Bentley around 1970. It was a beaut. Two tone
coffee and cream. Had been owned by some Bentley Mucky-Muck in Canada.
It was sitting in a car dealership in Darien. The mechanicals and
exterior were in extremely good shape, but the interior was a bit
rough. The asking was less than $6k. That engine was pretty
spectacular. It idled silently and smoothly at about 500 rpm. Probably
would have cost another 5k 1970 dollars to restore the interior
properly. I passed. Wonder what it would be worth now? Probably quite
a bit. You used to be able to find those kinds of cars pretty cheap
back then. I knew someone in Davenport, CA that bought a nice aluminum
Rolls Royce for $500. Had some body damage, and the cost to fix would
have been astronomical. It ran okay. Had a G.M. auto trans. He just
banged out the bent part to roughly the right shape and drove it
around town the way it was. The crushed velvet lining in the trunk was
a nice touch, as was the flip down velvet lined toolkit in the trunk
lid. The tools in it were all nice quality, highly polished, stuff.
Not the cheap stuff you usually find in a car tool kit.