P.C.

Default Aluminum hull deterioration?

Hi

skrev i en meddelelse
Hi,

I was told that aluminum hulls will deteriorate due to the
interaction between the hull and the water, caused by
electrical activity. That some of the electricity used by
the boat will get to the hull, and then react with the water
causing the hull to break down and become thin in places.
Can anyone tell me more about that, and how it actually
takes place if it's true? Also how to reduce the process?
I was also told something about a sacrificial anode...what
is that about?

Thanks for any help!
David

It is true that some of the first Alu ships was coroded away due to steel
wire used as rope attached to another warship in steel --- think the tale
say two mine sweepers was simply coroded away underwater this way , but this
is many years ago and many alu boats been build since then. The Alu used
for boatbuilding today is made for that, and all you need to know, is that
there are special paint systems and special clean Zink to be used with Alu
hulls.
P.C.