Steve

Default Push-Pull Tiller

"Andrew Butchart" wrote in message
I'm working on Bolger sailing pirogue (the CSD version) and am trying to

I'm not familiar with the Piroque but if it has a push pull steering, I'm
thinking it may be like the Filipino Banca's..

These are the motor driven outrigger canoes that are common there.. The
operator sits forward of the air cooled engine to get away from the heat.

There is a short tiller arm that is positioned to the stbd side, 90 degrees
to the the rudder blade. Generally this short tiller is about 12 inch long
for a 25 ft boat. A bamboo pole is attached to the outboard end of the
tiller with a pivet bolt. The other end of the pole is next to the operator
and he pushes back or forward to steer..

I built two of these Banca's and found that the steering was not that
awkward as it may seem. Within a few minutes you get the feel..

I always liked to have a loose lanyard on the push-pull pole to keep it from
falling or being swept away from my reach.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions