Andrew Butchart

Default Push-Pull Tiller

I'm working on Bolger sailing pirogue (the CSD version) and am trying to
figure out how I will handle the steering. The design shows lines coming
from each side of the head of the rudder forward to the cockpit (about 2 1/2
ft) but nothing else. I've seen this boat with a push-pull tiller, and I've
heard of it being used with kayak foot rudder controls. The push-pull
tiller that I saw looked a bit awkward and I worry about it falling
overboard without some sort of holder. The design has no notes at all and
I'd rather not pester Mr. Bolger especially considering that I didn't buy
the design directly from him.

Are there any suggestions on a steering mechanism that I should look at?
I'm planning on installing the decking this weekend and will want to install
any bits that I need for steering next. Picture of the "build in progress"
can be seen at http://www.floatingbear.ca/CSDPirogue.htm

Thanks

--
Andrew Butchart