posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default antenna alternatives for isolated stays?

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 06:00:26 +0000, Larry wrote:

BOTH WCBS and WFAN in New York City transmit on 660 Khz and 880 Khz
through that little piece of copper tubing coming out of the tuning
house

I moored my first keelboat about 300 yards from that antenna back in
1971. It's located on a rocky little island barely bigger than the
transmitter shack.

If you tune the mast to one or the other frequency, you can probably get
more than enough low frequency RF to rectify and recharge the house
batteries at their expense....(c;

I used to know a ham that lived just off the business end of the 3-tower
directional array of WKBW in Hamburg, NY (Buffalo's Rock-N-Roll blowtorch).
His yard lights and garage lights ran off a 1520 Khz-tuned big loopstick in
the attic off KB's nice signal, 24/7. To "dim" the lights (and keep the
overmodulated rock music from blowing the bulbs), you adjusted the tuning
off peak until you got the brightness you wanted, as well as bulb
longevity. He ran it that way for years. If one bulb blew, the excess
voltage that loss of load caused usually took out most of them...(c;

The closest house to WWKB's main lobe, now, can be measured with Google
Earth's measuring stick to be about 134 feet from a 50,000 watt AM
transmitter's DIRECTIONAL, much more intensive, output. I bet those people
don't even need a radio to listen to what their teeth are saying...(c; If
I lived in that house, I'd be running a high powered electronic switcher to
convert 1520 Khz into 60 HZ to run the house...(c;

Think about that the next time you're reading some sellphone propaganda
telling you your sellphone is frying your brains with .12 watts of power,
in an effort to get support from the users to turn the power down even
further at the expense of customer range and usefulness. If what sellphone
company say is true, all the people on the street would be fried!