posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gerald Atkin Gerald Atkin is offline

Default Xantrex Link 20

I installed a Link 20 on my sailboat about four seasons ago. I used
the Xantrex wiring cable and followed the instructions correctly.

I have two Optima spiral cell batteries. About 75 amp hours each

The problem I started to have was the amp hour page would not reset to
zero or close to it after extensive charging. At anchor I would show
a depleteion of say 40 amps. The charging would show that I had
replaced say 20 amp and the unit would show I was down to say 20 amps
but at that point the batteries were not accepting any more charge. So
in reality my batteries were fully recharged but the Link said I was
down 20 amps. If left it this way the battery condition lights at the
top would start to show the batteries we getting low. If I reset the
amp hours the green lighst would come back to full charge.

For two years I talked Xantrex techs and got little satisfaction.
Check the wiring, reset the functions, etc. Whatever they said to do
did not correct the situaution.

Then last week I discovered the unit was dead. No LED read outs except
for the green battery boxes across the top which tells me there was
power to the unit so it was not a fuse problem

Xantrex was of no assistqance and they told me to call Tekris a
company that repairs Xantrex products. Tekris advised that they really
don't work on LInk 20's but if I would like to send it in they would
tell perhaps what the cause or problem was. So I am now waiting for
their input.

I have had two boaters at our YC that had similar problems. So my
question is are these units prone to failure? I like the idea of
having a battery monitor but at $400 a pop I don't want to go thru the
same problems.

What has been your experience with the Link 20?

Thanks, Jerry