Edgar Edgar is offline

Default The BMW Oracle Racing 90 trimaran

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"Larry" wrote in message
Larry wrote in news:Xns9B15E46E5CAFnoonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

"claus" wrote in
:

She was meant to fly.

Wow, what speed! Notice the little sloop walking away...(c;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCm2aR0ymLI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKnr5lkOz4U
Stepping the 150+ foot mast!

I guess Florida down the ICW is out of the question....(c;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCnR3ykz1Q

32 knots....LOOK AT THE REEF IN THE MAIN!

I think this had a reef also... 47kts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCuP-...eature=related

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I watched 'Team Philips' being built, launched and sailed. She was a
catamaran and IMO she was a more advanced concept than this trimaran.
However they built her to too tight a time schedule and the stresses of high
speed in rough waters led to hull failure.
She had twin masts which of necessity were unstayed so the twisting effect
on the hulls at the bases of the masts must have been enormous.
When built she was, I believe, the largest single carbon fibre construction
ever made.
I am sure the designers of this trimaran thought a lot about 'Team Philips'
before coming up with a trimaran with a single mast amidships. This allows
the mast to be stayed but the stresses on the crossbeams must still be very
great.
We will see if she stays in one piece, but if they have built her for the
America's Cup she is unlikely to be tested in gale force winds in the open
ocean that proved the end of 'Team Philips'.