Bruce in Bangkok[_8_] Bruce in Bangkok[_8_] is offline

Default Zac scare

In article ,
says...
wrote

Please Roger, 99.9999999...% of parents would not let their kids do
this. We're so far out of the normal bounds of appropriate parenting
that they probably don't provide any useful guidance.

My perspective is probably not quite normal. When I was Zac's age, my
parents took me up to Lake George in my ten foot boat with a boom tent,
said, "Call us when you're ready to come home.", and drove away. It was
only a large lake but I came a lot closer to dying than Zac has so far.

If nothing else, requiring twice a day reports greatly increases Zac's
workload and when he gets tired the priority will be working the boat
and the pos reports will just have to wait.

That's an excellent point.

--
Roger Long

This idea of "he's too young" seems to be a modern misconception as
history shows may instances of young people doing things that they would
be considered "too young" to do in this modern age. Edward IV was
crowned king of England after leading his army in battle for a year or
more - age 19. Audie Murphy, one of the highest decorated soldiers in WW
II enlisted at 17. During the Civil War I believe that people as young
as 12 years old were found to have enlisted and served. My grandfather
was married at 17 and working his own farm at that age.

It could be said that at 16 Zac lacks experience but that can be said
for a large segment of the yachting world, so the worst that can be said
is that he is going to miss a year of school and I suggest that the
experiences gained in having to depend on his own efforts for a year
will more then compensate for the delay in finishing high school.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok