Tim Tim is offline

Default Mercrusier starter mounting bolt problem

On Sep 8, 6:22*pm, mark wrote:
Does anyone have a link to example pictures or catalog of the "L
shaped starter bracket" referred to earlier by billgran (Bill
Grannis)?

I have a 1999 Sylvan 21’ bow-rider with a 5.7L Mercruiser which I
purchased used last year. I have had numerous problems with the
starter failing to engage properly with the flywheel, have replaced
starter motor 3 times, replaced the flywheel, had 2 different licensed
Mercruiser mechanics charge me over 2K in repair bills and they both
threw their hands up and stated they don’t know what is causing it to
fail continually.

I read these messages which got me thinking about the possibility of
the starter shifting / flexing away from the flywheel. I jammed a
wooden wedge between the starter housing and a longitudinal rib on the
boat frame and I have not had a problem since. I am cautiously
optimistic this is the cause of my problems and would like to locate a
bracket to fix the starter robustly to the engine block and prevent
shifting.

If anyone has pictures or a link to a site showing this type of
bracket, I would really appreciate it. I would prefer to buy a bracket
off the shelf if possible or I could have one made up. Example
pictures would be really useful in that case.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark , If your starter is the full sized model (10MT delco) then send
me your address and I'll mail you one. I have some just laying around.
one is yours for the asking.

It's the same bracket as off a 350/400/454 chevy truck from about 1976
up to about 2000.

Tschnautz at g mail dot com