M Silver

Default How to winterize the motor?

Find someone that is willing to teach you - build friendships with your
fellow boaters as at least one of them will know how and does the work on
his own motor. Alternativey pay to have it done.

From your news server I guess you are in Toronto - so you don't have to
worry about salt water.
The minimum work you should do is:
- wipe the motor down
- change the lower unit gear oil - (check your manual for the oil type and
screw locations)
- run the engine, disconnect the fuel line and time how long it takes to
stall out
(When you run the engine it must have water for the cooling
system
either by using a water earmuf or by hanging it into a
garbage pail full of water.)
- spray storage spray into the carborator just as it stalls out - spray lots
- once it has stopped, remove the spark plugs and spray the storage spray
into the cylinders, replace the plugs.
- Wipe the engine down.
- spray the upper unit with light oil before putting the hood back on.
- store the motor in an upright position, and cover it with an old sheet.

"n0sPaM" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Although it is still summer time, I still would like to get some

information
on how to winterize my outboard since I am newbie to boating.

I have a Mercury 15 HP, 2 stroke. What do I have to do to prepare for
winter? Do I have to drain any water? how? Here I am in Canada, it's -20c
to -30c in winter. Last year I didn't drain the water out of a garden

host,
it was broken now. I am scared that would happen to my outboard. I read

the
manual and it didn't say anything about this.

What about Mini Kota trolling motor? any water to drain? Thanks for help.

Thanks.