Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default See ya'll after the election...

"jim" wrote in message
It's so sad to see Tom leave.

There must be something we can do to keep this NG alive.

A strict filtering regimin to eliminate Krause and any one else who
exhibits similar behavior could work.

Would anyone like to share any ideas to fix this NG? We could conference
over at Chucks via PM if he will allow it. Or maybe we could do it via
email.

A strictly adhered to filter regiment might work, but many, including me,
get sucked back into discussions by quoted references. I am willing to try
to totally ignore, if that is the consensus.

My concern, in the case of Harry, is that if he runs out of people to insult
or listen to his politics, he would just crosspost in an attempt to
encourage and draw in new blood. Hell, he has already acknowledged that.

Gene's algorithm obviously does not fix the problem. It is a great idea,
intended to eliminate OT, but it obviously has holes.

One of the historical issues is that "rec.boats" does not have a charter to
fall back upon as a reference for conformity of topic or conduct. It's the
original boating newsgroup and was started without benefit of a published
charter. There is an old "FAQ" list, but no official charter.

This is not to say that a charter guaranties civility or even helps, but
"rec.boats" lacks a reference for conduct.

The problem is not unique to rec.boats however. Virtually all of the
unmoderated NGs I've read suffer from the same problems prevalent here. It
seems like every one has it's own "Harry".

Eisboch