John H[_4_] John H[_4_] is offline

Default I just knew this was coming...and soon

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 20:05:32 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.com...
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:26:06 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
om...

Got any nice detailed photos of your new boat you can post?

Yup. I can .... but I won't.

Let's talk about boats.

What do you think about secondary control stations located in the cockpit
area?
Do you find them useful, Harry?

Eisboch

I have a secondary control station mounted towards the stern.

Her name is Sandy.

Heh. I had the same, except her name was Mrs.E.

As I mentioned before, the Navigator had absolutely no visibility of the
rear of the boat from the upper (flybridge) station.
So, when backing into a slip, particularly one I was not familiar with, she
would stand in the back of the cockpit with her arms held up above her head.
I could just see her hands. As I backed the boat in, she would direct me
by pointing in the direction the back of the boat had to move in order to
get into the slip without hitting a dock or another boat.

That boat had a fairly wide beam at over 15'. The slip we first had for
it (in Scituate) had finger slips on each side.
When the boat was in the slip, there was six inches of space between the
hull and the slip on each side.
On windy days, it made it a bit interesting getting it backed in.

Eisboch

We go through that process with the trailer. The first couple times there
was a lot of yelling, directed at me. Now we have a deal. She doesn't talk,
only hand signals. Works pretty well.

I've never tried to pilot a boat larger than my 21' Proline. I'll probably
go to my deathbed never having done so. It's probably just as well.