EZ

Default What sail for a 12 ft. skiff?

This question has probably been asked a hundred times before. I am
completing my first boat, a modified Uncle John's 12 ft. flat bottom skiff
and now it is time to decide on a sail. The modifications include floatation
seats, stronger mast partner at the level of the front decking and oversized
material in other areas. It is still very light, weighing about 70 pounds
without paint. It will be sailed on small inland lakes.

My first sail choice is poly-tarp for it's low cost. The white tarp is much
heavier than the colors (12 mil, 6 oz. vs. 7 mil, 3.3 oz.) but it IS white.
Since this boat will not see a lot of action, I am not worried about UV, so
I was thinking that the lighter the material the better the sail will
perform. I don't mind my sail being orange or yellow especially if it
performs better. So, colored and lightweight or white and heavy?

A simple sprit sail of about 63 sq. ft. is what I was planning to start off.
Is this too big for a rookie?

For a mast I was planing on fence rail, laminated wood or possibly closet
rod. Does the mast material matter much on that type of sail?

Thanks for any feedback

EZ