John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default This is not a test

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 07:43:35 -0400, hk wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..

In my heart, I believe the anti-abortionists are that way because of
psychological, rather than religious reasons, anyway. It is a patriarchal
belief, even though some women share in it. It is a method to control
women.

Sure. Right. A method to control women......

It has absolutely nothing to do with the rights of the unborn child, does
it?

Eisboch

What rights?

Roe v. Wade states that abortions are permissible for any reason, up
until the point a fetus becomes viable, which means potentially able to
live outside a mother's womb. Viability typically takes place somewhere
between 24 and 28 weeks. Abortion is also available after viability when
necessary to protect a woman's health.

"Unborn child," by the way, is a favorite phrase of those who want to
reverse Roe v. Wade. It is an emotionally charged term, and elicits
precisely the response they want.

The proper term is embryo or fetus. In humans, the fetal stage doesn't
even begin until nearly three months into a pregnancy. Until then, it is
just an embryo.

Another poster just brought up the fly in the ointment that the
anti-choice folks just don't want to discuss, the fact that for many of
them, the right to life ends at birth. You know how that goes...no
abortions because that fetus in your womb is a life, but once that fetus
is born, well, it's pretty much on its own, and if it dies because of
inadequate health care or environmental conditions, or whatever, well,
that's just too bad, hey?

Harry, when your wife said, "Feel the baby kicking", did you really
say, "Beautiful bride, that's not a baby, it's just a fetus."

Did you go on to say, "It's little more than a ball of excrement that
could be expelled at will because it is meaningless."

With your attitude, I would think you'd have corrected your wife in
just such a manner.