posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Redcloud was not first

wrote in message
From Letters to the editor, Sept. 08, Sail Magazine:

COFFEE CARGO

Dave Baldwins story about the coffee-hauling ketch Red Cloud (*Coffee
Clipper Plan Grinds to a Halt, " Under Sail, March) prompted me to
write this letter. In 1998, our 82-foot schooner, Patricia Belle, set
sail from Port Orchard, Washington, on her maiden voyage, outbound for
Nicaragua.

There, we loaded 10,000 pounds of green coffee beansand returned to
San Diego, intent on selling our cargo. After a lengthy inspection by
U.S. Custom, and the Food and Drug Administration, the beans were
cleared and we paid a small duty. "Sorry it took so long, Cap, but we
haven't done this for 100 years," the port authorities said.

The Patricia Belle soon became known as the "Coffee Schooner"; she
sailed on San Diego Bay every Sunday. Some boats sent tenders over to
buy beans, but most of the coffee was deliveredto the other boats in
the bay. Since then, we've made three more voyagesthrough Central
America and the Carribean. The boat now takes charter guestssailing
out of Mazatlan, Mexico, and I still have guests say, "So, you're the
coffee schooner, eh?"

Sorry to read about Red Cloud's misfortune.

Captain Patrick Hughes
schooner Patricia Belle

"Red Cloud" WAS the first - the first to fail at a simple coffee bean run!

Wilbur Hubbard