Dionysus Feldman

Default re Wire for starter / tilt trim / etc...

lakenut--

Hey Matt,
just use regular old AUTOMOTIVE wire, every marina i've ever worked at
did exactly that. as long as you shrinkwrap your connections with
heatshrink tubing which you can grab at RadioShack you'll be fine.
it's also a good idea to silicone areas where your expecting them to
get wet...common sense stuff not rocket science like some woul have
you believe. i've been working on boats for 20 plus years and haven't
purchaced 1 strand of MARINE WIRE yet...unless it was a whole harness.
Good Luck! Brian K

df--

I know something about electricity, and Automotive wire is NOT a good
idea. It's 12 volt and meant to stay dry.

House wiring is not a good idea. Romex does not have the corrosion
resistance. There is a kind of wire which is rated for wet areas like
crawlspaces, and can be buried. I would use that on a boat with some
trepidation -- in a non-saline environment -- but I'd feel better with
marine rated wire.

There are times when the "marine" equivalent is a rip-off. When it
comes to your electric system, it is not. The number one source of
fires on board a boat is the electrical system. Don't scrimp -- use
adequate gauge or better.

The starter should never be connected to other devices. For one thing,
its short, deep draw consumes an enormous load, and very thick wires are
necessary.

Every device must be separately connected to the breaker box, with the
exception of those devices, which when they short out, actually break a
connection. Practically speaking, those devices are lights.

But don't believe me, check out any marine handbook. Try "The Nature of
Boats" by David Gerr.

If you can't afford your electrics, you can't afford the boat.