Kenton Letkeman

Default Other wood types

Greetings,
I am a newcomer to this list and to the whole art of boat building. I am
still in the planning stages of building a prospector style canoe and have
some questions about different wood types. Most people seem to use cedar but
it is very expensive and difficult to find in this part of Canada. Other
types of wood that are available are Tamarack, Silver Birch, Diamond Willow
and Spruce. I would like to make the thwarts and seats out of the willow but
am wondering how the tamarack or birch would work for the strips.
Kenton