posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default 35s5 Heart of Gold

If you are planning to do astrophotography, then you should
not buy an expensive scope until you *really* know what you
want. Most people give up because they started with
the wrong scope(Long focal length and high F ratio).
I'm on my third scope, second mount, and third camera -
and all in only three years.

Donal, long before you probably entered this hobby I already owned
vintage scopes, such as the RV-6 and Dynamax. Living in NYC as a kid
and astrophotography wasn't in the cards. In the late 60's I used the
RV-6 visually. I buy for visual work mainly and always have. A million
people do those shots and they generally look the same, unless they
are from huge mirror systems. But I love to look and it's already a
ton of fun for Thomas. I needed a scope that set-up in 5 minutes and
could show objects easily without frustrating an impatient group of
kids. So far the GPS motor driven scopes are amazing.
I never bought the wrong scope because I started very young and knew
the systems early on. There is no better scope for my current
application for example; not at any price. For shooting I'd be using a
proper refractor of course and I've been toying with the idea of
adding such a scope soon.

R.