P.C.

Default Aluminum stitch-n-glue

Hi

"steveJ" skrev i en meddelelse
There was an article in this month's issue of Epoxyworks sent out by
Gougeon Bros. about adhesion of epoxy to various metals.
I don't have the article in front of me but I seem to remember that
Aluminum had the lowest adhesion strength of all the metals tested.
You can contact them and they will send a free subscription to you (I
think) if you don't get it already.
My guess is that epoxy would not work for this because of the expansion
of the metal and the oxide problem mentioned. I could be wrong.

No , -------- but there are several other way's to make Alu go together
beside designing the hull so it don't even matter if the water enter
inbetween the two hulls forming the inner and outher hull , ------- esp. if
the space inbetween is foam filled or filled with a mix of emty polystyrene
bottles and foam.
Sicaflex , even a foul word in this group , oposed allmighty epoxy, is
acturly a relevant choice, offering a glue that last decades at the same
time not being as hard as the epoxy.
Beside when you need to be an aircarft engineer to make an amature design go
together , I don't think special coating shuld be the issue. Esp. when the
halve problem is a design issue .
Beside there are plenty of way's , like the Alu solder that can be found
with Google , rivets that surely ask a bit craftman but go in many different
types.

Check the design "Dizzie" at the old Cyber-Boat site, ------- top plank is
Alu that I had to weld to lenghten , but that is simply copper rivited onto
the tradisional lapstrake planking, beside when you check that design, check
the detail about both front and aft end made in Alu, ready to bolt planks
onto so you can build a well documented design being an amature.

Still the Alu ends are expensive, so with Cyber-Boat I made a special
"sandwich pattern" that help the builder by offering a very smart template
for the mirrors of a pram or dinghie, -------- beside the full-scale
unfolded planks that is.
http://w1.1396.telia.com/~u139600113/

P.C.