Steve

Default Laying fiberglass overhead

"rhys" wrote in message
On 17 Mar 2004 09:29:27 -0800, (jsheesley) wrote:

Do you guys have any advice, tips or tricks for laying up fiberglass

overhead?

Besides "avoid it like the plague"? Yes, but beware, it ain't a pretty
process.

I agree with the AVOID IT recommendations. I have done some core repairs
from below deck and learned a few lessons.

The best way to do it if you can, is to do the core repair from above. Leave
the interior glass alone and cut out sections of the topside deck.. Dig out
the bad core, glass in a new piece and glass over that, building everything
up to the original thickness.

Of course using this method, you will have to find a way to restore the non
skid pattern.. I'm still trying to figure a way to salvage the old patterns
and epoxy them back down onto the repair.. The boats I have worked on using
this method, had to have core repairs in numerous areas and needed new non
skiding anyway..

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve