Ron Magen

Default What paint to use

Pat,
Let me say one last thing before you begin . . . I apologize for 'getting
involved' at the last minute.

Take a look at Sherri Board's book, "Boat Cosmetics Made Simple" {my copy is
from 1989}. When I first got our USED West Wight Potter 19, I did a lot of
research. She had been sitting out in the weather for at least a year, with
no 'protection'.

The bottom line is to properly maintain that 20-thousands of an inch gel
coat. Even if it has been 'ignored' for sometime, it *can* most likely be
'brought back'. I would suggest that you get a copy of her book, and a
couple more 'of the type' from your local library {try 'inter-library loan'
if not on the 'local' shelves}. Take an evening and a pot of coffee, and
read through them - especially the chapters on 'Compounding and Waxing Gel
Coat' and 'Washing' hints such putting some vinegar in your wash water. Take
notes.

What I'm getting at is NOBODY can do that 'Super, Looks-Just-Like-Gel-Coat'
paint job . . .the FIRST time. Plus, whatever you 'screw-up' -YOU will have
to live with it for a LONG time {or spend a ton to get someone else to
correct}. Even if no one else notices it - YOU will !! Spend a very few of
those dollars you have set aside for the paint job. In just the time it
would take you to 'tape-off' and properly prep the hull, you'll be able to
wash, compound, wash, and wax. Live with it this 'season', with maybe
another waxing mid-season. Clean & cover her well over the winter . . . a
GREEN 'Farm Tarp' is an excellent choice.

A quick 'spritz' and wipe down next Spring . . . and tell me what you think.

You can always paint - but now you've tried a less 'invasive' solution
first, had time for a bit more 'research', saved up a bit more money, and
had time to PRACTICE *YOUR* technique.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Pat" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,
Thanks for your input I have gotten quite a few emails and most people

like
interlux Interthane for cost and ease of painting. I am going to go this
way.
Thanks again, Pat
"Pat" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,
I have an older fiberglass sailboat that has had a bad paint job. I am
currently sanding and repairing the bad spots in preparation for

painting.

I would like some input as to what paint to use. I will be applying it

with
rollers and brushes. I can't afford to have it done and I'm not a spray

guy.
I have been looking at Awl grip but am told it's hard to apply and work
with.
What about polyester? Any help would be appreciated.

It's probably been discussed many times but I'm new to the news group.

Thanks, Pat