Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default What paint to use

On 15 Mar 2004 03:35:13 GMT, 0delete0 (Alexander A.
Meller) wrote:

I have an older fiberglass sailboat that has had a bad paint job. I am
currently sanding and repairing the bad spots in preparation for painting.

I would like some input as to what paint to use. I will be applying it with
rollers and brushes. I can't afford to have it done and I'm not a spray guy.
I have been looking at Awl grip but am told it's hard to apply and work
with.
What about polyester? Any help would be appreciated.

I have brushed Awlgrip. Though it is best to spray it, it can be brushed, or
rolled and tipped. It is expensive, but very tough, and lasts a very long
time. It is probably the ultimate paint system for boats, or at least
not-always-imersed parts of boats like dry sailed boats, or topsides. One
option may be to do all the prep work and then have someone who knows what they
are doing spray Awlgrip. I just used this approach with the wooden interior of
my International 505. I did all the epoxy and epoxy-glass work, then brushed
on a coat of Awlgrip, sanded it all very carefully with 220 wet-and-dry and
then had it sprayed with clear Awlgrip. It looks fabulous.

I thought your boat lookd fabulous when it was displayed at Atlantic
City last year (or was it the year before last?). You did this since
then?

Since I did all
the prepwork and most of the masking, I was only charged for the materials and
the time to spray it and clean the gun. This was very reasonable.

The Interthane Plus two part linear polyurethane is probably a little more
oriented to the amateur. I have also had good results using a clear Interthane
Plus rolled and tipped on epoxy over wood.

With both Awlgrip and Interthane Plus you are probably going to want two or
three coats if you roll and tip versus once if you have it sprayed.

The single part polyurethane like Interlux also work well but are not as tough
as the two part polyurethanes.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.