[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Power and Sail Squadron recreational boater qualifications.

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 02:11:25 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:41:18 -0400, wrote:

I think that in CT, at least, someone with a USCG Master's ticket
would still have to obtain a CT safe boating certificate to operate
recreational craft or PWC's.

I've been operating pleasure boats in CT on and off for over 30 years,
first as a NY resident, now FL. As far as I'm concerned I am
grandfathered but who knows. Let's set up a test case, might be fun.
You can turn me in next summer for failure to have a certificate.

Sure. Sounds like fun. Let me know when you have exceeded the time
limit, and where they can find you. The Courant will want to do a four
part series on your trial, I'm sure!

For the record, you are not grandfathered in. I was when they first
instituted the Safe Boatuing Certificate, but they phased that out
early on.

If you read the CT Safe Boating Guide booklet as prep, you could
probably just take the test at DEP headquarters and skip the classroom
time. Mostly enforcenment happens when you are busted for something
else and they discover you don't have the cert. I don't think the CG
will even write you up for it. You have to get popped by local law
enforcement, or DEP.