[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Power and Sail Squadron recreational boater qualifications.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 16:30:30 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 31, 2:41*pm, wrote:
I think that in CT, at least, someone with a USCG Master's ticket
would still have to obtain a CT safe boating certificate to operate
recreational craft or PWC's. ...

That's an interesting thought. It would mean, I presume, that a
person with a master's license could take up to 6 people out on his
own boat for hire but would not be able to cruise it for pleasure...
Wouldn't that be odd. I'm no lawyer and I'm sure one of the local law
critters will point out my errors but I think a federal license that
gives you the right to operate a boat must be recognized by a state.
No?

No.

Just because you can operate a large tug boat, does not mean you know
how to operate a PWC, any more than it means you know how to drive a
tractor trailer, fly an airplane. or ski down Mt. Everest.

Are you joking? A person with a master's license will have a very
good handle on COLREGS and some familiarity with the applicable CFR
chapters and a lot more to loose if he gets busted breaking the law
than a person with just an operators license.

The test covers a lot of things that are not simply laws or COLREGS.

They even have a separate test for PWC's. A regular boating license
doesn't cover those, because they feel you should know things like how
to maintain steerage in an emergency. If you are about to hit
something while on a Jet Ski, instinctively closing the throttle is
the worst thing you could do. They don't have rudders. The jet blast
is how you steer. To avoid collision, you often ACCELERATE to be able
to turn sharper. A person with a master's license may not know that.
It wasn't in any of the tests or classes he took to get that ticket.

That's just ONE example. So far, it looks like you couldn't pass the
test. You don't even know what questions to ask.

There are a few laws
that vary from state to state but I strongly suspect that most pros
could pick them up with a quick glance at the state's boating
handbook. Otherwise, they're likely to have mastered much more
material than will be presented in a state licensing course.

More, perhaps, but not the same, and not a complete overlapping. How
much does a "pro" know about launching a boat at a boat ramp? Did you
know that you are not supposed to "power on" and "power off" a trailer
on a public boat ramp, using the boats motor to force a stuck boat on
or off the trailer? Do you know why? It's on the test.

YMMV but
I've spent time in small boats with professional mariners and they
were very fine boat operators. And, of course, if you can operate a
tug you can almost certainly operate a PWC (at least a sit down
one).

See, that's where you are wrong. Very wrong. It's a different skill
set.