Rick Tyler

Default Building a small sailboat...help

On 11 Mar 2004 08:35:19 -0800, (Randall) wrote:

For my next boat I want to make a small sail boat. I want to use
this boat in river and the bay. There are two boats I am looking at,
the Glen-17 and the Minuet (15).

I've always thought the Glen-17 looked nice in pictures, but in that
size range I would definitely consider Sam Devlin's Nancy's China
(
http://www.devlinboat.com/dcnancyschina.htm) and Winter Wren
(http://www.devlinboat.com/dcwinterwren.htm). I saw examples of both
these boats at the Pt. Townsend Wooden Boat Festival last year. They
look even sweeter in person than they do in pictures. For a more
modern boat in the same size range, I would consider the short version
of Mertens' Vagabond (which can be built in either 18- or 20-foot
versions).

If you can live without the little cabin, I would consider the Core
Sound boats suggested by another poster, as well as the CK-17 from
http://www.boatplans-online.com/products.php?id=13. Something about a
minimalist camp cruiser appeals to me, but then I have Puget Sound to
explore.

Good luck.

Rick Tyler
--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian