Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Mail-order outboards?

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:46:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I'm looking to get a new small 4 stroke in the 20-25HP range. Local
selection of this size of outboard is pretty limited - most dealers
don't even stock this size. And of course the pricing is therefore
quite high.

Trolling the net, I see places like NewOutboards.com (for example)
offering much lower prices than what I can obtain locally.

I'm a little concerned about the reliability of any of these outfits,
and also question how easy it will be to obtain warranty service from
a local dealer (and in the case of some brands, the nearest local
dealer might be a 1 or 2 hour drive away).

Anyway, I'm just interested in hearing of any experiences folks have
had, pro or con, with ordering an outboard and having it shipped to
your door.

Find the motor you want; find (and print) a good online price; find a
local dealer. Go to the local dealer and tell him you'd like to do
business with him if he can come within several hundred dollars of
your online price. It usually works out. If not, find another
dealer. Outboards do require service as a rule.