Steve

Default Outboard security conundrum

I use a combination of the thumb screw lock and a wire lanyard..

As with most outboarders, it is common to have a safety line in case the OB
jumps off the transom or is dropped when removing or installing..

I just take this one step farther and have made up an eight fot long, 3/16"
vinyl coated wire lanyard. Soft eyes on each end. The engine end is has a
large snap that I can clip onto the engine. The other end, I pass the soft
eye through a eye bolt in the transom When I put the pad lock onto the thumb
screws, I pass the standing part of the lanyard and the inboard eye through
the lock.

May sound complicated but I have throught this over objectively and can't
figure anyway that a thief could defeat it without tools (hack saw or bolt
cutters).

The lanyard is long enough to pass to the dock or to a deck fitting when I'm
handling the outboard on or off.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions