HK HK is offline

Default Early morning adventures

wrote:
On Aug 30, 9:53 am, hk wrote:

Someone breaking into your outdoor barn when no one is in it might just
be a thief or trespasser. I'm not sure in my state or any other
progressive state with "castle doctrine" that you would get away with
shooting a trespasser simply on your property or breaking into a barn.
This isn't Texas, after all.

When I discussed a threat we had received with our local sheriff, he was
very clear that I couldn't legally just shoot at the "perp" if he was on
the property, but he was equally clear that if the "perp" busted in the
door or even tried to do so, I could blow the idiot away with my 12
gauge. When I asked about "retreat," the sheriff said, "Retreat to
where? A bedroom?" and then he laughed.- Hide quoted text -

Wow, then your sherrif is a ****ing idiot... A friend teaches a course
on handguns and specifically when to use "deadly force" and one of the
main things is to retreat to a safe area and warn the perp, if he
comes that way..

Tell us, oh highly educated and experienced man of the world, just what
*is* a "safe area" in a modern frame house? In a bedroom behind a hollow
core door? In most modern houses, even a short little schitt like you
could kick open an interior door in about five seconds.

Unless you have a hardened "safe room" in your house, there is no "safe"
area.

If someone has busted in my front door, he is going to be face to face
with the flash of a 12 gauge shotgun.