Brian Whatcott

Default Outboard security conundrum

For chassis bolts that mister Royce didn't want to come apart, he
would peen over the bolts onto the nuts. Sounds agricultural, but
that' what he did. Taking a leaf out of his book: a bead of weld
on the nut holding the lifting ring, and that's a permanent fixture,
til you take a saw to it.

Brian W

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:42:25 -0600, lid
wrote:

I'm about to buy a new 20" shaft outboard for use on several boats,
including skiffs with 15" transoms. I plan to use a T-H mini jacker
(see link) on the 15" transoms.
http://www.thmarine.com/product.cfm?PRID=23

I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure the outboard to the
boat in an effort to discourage theft. I have a thumbscrew lock that
would be enough if the outboard were mounted directly to the transom,
but the mini jacker is mounted with only four bolts that can be easily
removed so, with just the lock, I'd end up losing the motor as well
as the mini-jacker. And I don't want to mount the jacker permanently
because I want to be able use a 15" shaft motor now and then.

Right now I'm thinking of glassing a lifting ring to the inside
transom and just chaining the motor to it, but there ought to be a
better way (my present lifting rings are thru bolted and will come off
as easily as the bracket).

I know I can't prevent the thing being stolen by somebody who's wants
it bad enough. But I would at least like 'em to work a little for it.

Anybody have a simple and inexpensive idea?

Thanks in advance,
Rick