Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Gotta admit ...

"hk" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

I get to maybe three or four of my local union's monthly meetings a
year. I'm an "inactive," so I don't participate in contract talk or
elections. I just go to the more "social" meetings to keep up with old
friends and new friends. About half the members were in the military at
one time or another, and some of the older farts, the guys my age, saw
service in Vietnam. None recall their "glory days" in uniform. They're
living in the present and planning for the future.

Just because you seem to always talk about things you don't and will
never understand.. I don't recall any "glorious" stories by any of our
heros here.. But you just keep making it up as you go along..

I didn't say "glorious stories," d.f., I said "glory days."

Perhaps if you were literate, you might know the difference, eh?

Glory days: A phrase that captures a supposedly better time in the past,
or the point where somebody's life and/or popularity peaked.

Glorious: a word with many meanings, but I suspect you mean "wonderful,
magnificent, splendid."

Oh. Hero. Someone who does something heroic. You know, like a fireman
running into a burning building. Putting on a uniform does not make
someone a hero.

Personal experiences in Vietnam (or combat during WWII, Korea, and the Gulf
War) are not often or commonly discussed by vets, even among vets. It's a
private thing.

Military service experiences of a general nature .... "sea tales" and
remembrances of good, humorous or exciting times are very often discussed
by and among vets.

As we grow older, many of the good experiences become fond memories, never
to be repeated. It would be unusual for a bunch of vets to never discuss
their youthful military days.

I don't expect those that never served in the military to understand that.
It's an experience many missed and also for many it's unfortunate.

Eisboch