D.Duck D.Duck is offline

Default McCain up by 2 ;)

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:41:41 -0400, hk wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:53:48 -0400, hk wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:38:42 -0400, hk wrote:

I have no idea
what is in this year's "platform," and I couldn't care less.
I always say "I could care less."
Then the grammarians get involved too.

--Vic

The two phrases have different meanings.

See what I mean? They don't.
And I'm surprised at such ignorance of the colloquial.
I thought you were a union guy.

--Vic

Yes, they do.

I could care less... meaning, you *could* care less.

I couldn't care less...meaning, you're at the bottom of "caring."

It's the tone, Harry, the tone.
Still remember the example given by my linguistics professor.
"You say I should buy the tickets to the concert?"
Asking that question with emphasis on different words gives
it different meanings.
I could care less and I couldn't care less are always said
with the same dismissive tone, and take the same meaning.
But like I said, a "grammarian" will always feel compelled to
jump in.

--Vic

Ain't the English language wonderful? 8)