Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Pole-ish joke

On 2008-08-27 17:16:03 -0400, Vic Smith said:

My ma was a linotype operator and also did proofreading as a side job.
American Medical Journal and Playboy among others.
Hot type, days now gone by.

That was my grandfather's profession. Hands were so callused that he
could roll molten lead around the palms of his hands, I'm told. (That
would have been before 1920, so well before my time.)

Surprising how many typos and grammar mistakes get into publications
nowadays. Not that I'm even close to an expert, but I find them
pretty often. And make them of course.

There was something to be said about being slowed down by the existing
stone-age technology. Even on a typewriter, we had to pay closer
attention, as one mistake might require us to retype the whole page.
Oh, the auto-correcting Selectrics (or was it the Olivettis?) were such
a step up.

--
Jere Lull