Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Whisper Wind Turbine

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:36:54 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

Maybe Iowa is windier than GB but here we are putting up 2 MW units as
fast as we can build them, with several factories in the state. The
units seem to be the maximum size you can haul down the road in large
pieces. Cylindrical 50 000 lb sections of tower, as opposed to welding
it up from small plates on site. One piece blades, There doesn't seem
to be a downside. They aren't especially noisy or ugly, and don't take
up much space.

I've seen the towers in Iowa, the ones near Dennison, and they are
impressive looking. Aparently there is a growing issue with power
distribution however:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/bu...em&oref=slogin

It isn't a problem if the energy is consumed close to where it is
produced but the best winds are in areas with low population density.