Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Thumbs Up & Down

On 2008-08-26 09:45:24 -0400, said:

Wayne.B wrote:
I still use my 362 once in a while but our real workhorse is now a
Engenius EOC-3610S-EXT fromwww.wlanparts.com It is not quite as
easy to configure as the 362 but it requires no driver at all, has
minimal co-ax losses and gives a more stable conection. The 3610 can
be mounted at the top of the mast if you wish, with a POE ethernet
down feed.

Hmmm. I missed this.

How does this work? I've a Mac laptop that I'd like to use for light
work: mail & such.

The EOC-3610S-EXT is a long range WiFi bridge with an ethernet
interface. It supports Power-Over-Ethernet (POE), so it can be
mounted remotely with no wiring other than the ethernet cable.
Configuration is done via your laptop web browser. No driver
software is required.

So, I could set it for "bridge" operation, toss it on the deck with the
antenna high to extend my range to -- how far? I seem to be getting
about a half mile, line of sight, at the marina with the internal
antenna.

You need 110 volt power for the POE injector which can be obtained
from a small inverter, also useful for powering the laptop.

What's this POE injector? Sounds like a separate unit.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's pages: