Gregg Germain

Default Steam bending reducing rot

steveJ wrote:
: On a related note, I've always wondered if steam bending increased the
: rot resistence of wood. I was thinking that when a tree grows there are
: all kinds of mold and fungus spores and bacteria that must be in the
: wood just naturally. But when you steam it, these little buggers would
: be killed. Sterilized.
: Any body ever think of this? I wonder if it would reduce or slow fungus
: growth.

I've never heard of that directly. But there's this:

Using green wood is usually a bad idea in boatbuilding as it promotes
rot. Yet you prefer green wood when steambending.
But the steaming eliminated the tendency for the wood to rot due to
it's "greeness".

So in that sense, steaming helps to prevent rot.

--- Gregg

My woodworking projects:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

"Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Phone: (617) 496-1558

For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class
installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!
---- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ----