[email protected] john.burton@johnburton.org is offline

Default Cleaning Zinc Anodes

On Aug 21, 12:19*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Rich,
No, it does not. The problem in your neighbor's boat affecting your boat IS
the common bonding. Without that, there is no circuit! Secondly, a ground
isolator is not a cure, it is an inhibitor because the leakage current
through that diode is still very damaging. These measures only address stray
current corrosion. Galvanic corrosion on the other hand, causes identical
damage, but is caused by dissimilar metals in a common electrolyte and
sacrificial anodes are another band aid, not a cure. These anodes can
actually encourage galvanic corrosion. This is a very complex subject and if
you are suffering from this, the goal should be elimination, not a band aid.
On another point, there is a lot of advise out there in print that is either
incomplete or unadulterated b-ll s---t and propagating it without a thorough
understanding does no one any good.
Steve

"RichH" wrote in message

Opppps, Brain Fart !!!

Zinc (-1.0v) less reactive than Mg (-1.6v).

Still the rest applies: galvalnic isolator, common bonding through the
AC ground, reference cell, etc., etc.- Hide quoted text -

OK ...

I've read thru the posts, and now I'm MORE confused than ever. A bit
of background; my previous vessel had been stored in the very same
lake we visit from time to time (Summersville, WVa). When I plopped
it into the Kanawha River, it seemed the zincs didn't really do a
great deal, more the lower end of the outdrive took the hit. So now I
have this brand new vessel (2007 260DA) .. don't know if the "zincs"
are Zinc or Magnesium .. I'm guessing Zinc, but you know what guessing
does.

I've cleaned the gunk off 'em with a small steel brush, down to the
shiny. I expect I'll replace 'em when I pull the vessel out of the
water for winterizing, but that still doesn't answer the questions in
my mind. 1) I have Sea Ray's Galvonic Isolator (standard install) ..
2) if I have troubles with shore power in my slip, what's next? I
can't very well leave the vessel unplugged, can't very well dictate
the wiring practices used by the marina.

What's next? And thanks!

john burton
Bach 50B3 Bass Trombone
Kanawha Valley Community Band / Slide-by-Slide
South Charleston, West Virginia