Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default KInda a maybe question .. new diesel ??

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:22:17 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:56:45 GMT, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:

As anyone who has ever sailed onboard a boat with an AT4 can
attest, things
can go wrong. Mostly, electric. The AT4 being a gas engine, has spark
plugs,
dist cap, ... etc. That stuff does not like moisture.

All true but they are inexpensive and easy to replace. Nothing on a
diesel is inexpensive or easy to replace once you get past the fuel
filter and raw water impeller.

Wonder if that will soon change. Seems to me there's really nothing
special about manufacturing diesels over gas engines. Sure, they're
different, but the big cost difference doesn't make sense except in
terms of volume reducing costs maybe, and lack of competition.
I guess the demand side is just too low now.
Larry picked up a pretty cheap Chinese genset, but air-cooled.
I thought Europe had a lot of diesel cars, and I wonder what the price
premium over a gas engine if for those.
Those Yanmar prices just seem out of whack.

--Vic