[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Thumbs Up & Down

Jeff, thanks for the write-up

jeff wrote:
Thumbs up to the EnGenius 362 EXT USB WiFi with 7 dB antenna (about $65
from Keenan Systems) which has been able to connect up with the 'net
almost wherever we are. Thumbs down for not providing a native Linux
driver. (And I suppose a thumbs up to those who neglect to turn on
security on their routers!)

Does it matter that much? Some systems you have to re-configure often,
some don't work as well with security enabled; and it doesn't seem
likely that there's any big reason to... other than keeping Wilbur and
his sockpuppets from downloading porn via your connection

FWIW I'm seeing a lot more secured wi-fi in the metro areas of the
SouthEast. More than half actually.

Wayne.B wrote:
I still use my 362 once in a while but our real workhorse is now a
Engenius EOC-3610S-EXT fromwww.wlanparts.com It is not quite as
easy to configure as the 362 but it requires no driver at all, has
minimal co-ax losses and gives a more stable conection. The 3610 can
be mounted at the top of the mast if you wish, with a POE ethernet
down feed.

I can attest that Wayne's system works very well, pulling in clear wi-
fi from unbelievable distances. I think he's getting on line via some
of those nuclear subs from the other thread

FB- Doug